Law Blog


What terms are followed before your divorce is finalized?

If you and your spouse are separating, you may need to resolve some urgent issues before you can finalize your divorce. This is where a notice of motion for interim relief, also called an interim motion, can help. A “notice of motion” is a document that asks the court to make a temporary order on one or more issues related to your separation. “Interim relief” means that the order will only last until the court makes a final decision on your case, or until you and your spouse agree on a settlement.

Read More »

Getting Divorced in Nova Scotia

When you are getting divorced in Nova Scotia there are multiple paths. First you determine if your divorce is contested or uncontested. If contested, you can choose judicial settlement or divorce mediation. We’ll explain how these things effect time and cost.

Read More »

Prenup Q&A With A Family Lawyer

In Canada a prenuptial agreement (prenup) is actually called a marriage contract — a marriage contract is a financial contract.

Getting a prenup done before you get married is not about “planning to fail” but it’s about both parties planning to be agreeable if things go array.

Read More »